Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Finley Andrew Perkins 2/8/09


For any who may not have heard on Feb 8, 2009 our newest little boy arrived. He decided to give Dane and Marlene a run for their latest delivery story and almost arrived in the car. I had been having random contractions since 3:15 in the afternoon or so but nothing anywhere close to regular or consistent. About 6:00 we went to Kevins parents house for our monthly FHE. Between 6 and 7:30 I hadn't really felt any contractions so I decided it had just been false labor and I would get to be induced as planned on Wednesday, but then i shifted in my chair and the pain hit hard. So I sat there and shifted again and again the pain hit. So I got up and left the room and decided to call the Dr. on call (my dr was out of town for a conference). The contractions only hit if I moved or walked around so the Dr and nurse at the hospital told me to just wait it out and see if they would start coming more consistently. As I was on the phone with the Dr my sister in law started timing my contractions. (this was about 8:15 ish) They were coming about 3 minutes apart and the dr. decided that since I was still able to talk through the contractions they must not be the real strong true labor pains so I should wait and see but if they got worse to come right in ( I needed antibiotics in my system at least 4 hours before delivery). Now keep in mind for both of my other labors I have been induced and had no labor pains false or true on my own. So both times before the "happy epidural man" as Marlene calls him has always been available to come as soon as I was uncomfortable. Needless to say after hanging up with the dr. the next contraction hit and hurt so I left the kids and headed on down to Salt Lake (we were in Centerville) Basically by the time we got to the hospital I was screaming through contractions and very excited to see the nurses to tell them to get the pain meds on their way. thinking nothing was really going to be happening all that soon the nurses sent Kevin back downstairs to check me in. Then checked on me and said oh well sweetie your there lets get the resident dr in here and have a baby. I kept saying no no no but they insisted. So from check in time at 9:01 to baby birth at 9:19 I'd say we were lucky that we only ran into the one road block on the way to the hospital. Anyway Kevin did make it back in time for Finley Andrew Perkins to be born although he missed half the fun. (By the way I guess I can't complain too much, even though he came without any pain meds what so ever he was only 5 lbs 15 oz and only 18 inches so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.)
We love our new little one and are happy he is here although after that experience I wouldn't expect that we will ever try for a sister. :)

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Wow, thank goodness you made it! Congrats, he's a cutie...and you're so lucky you have them so tiny!

Chris and Jenelle Reed said...

He's so cute! Good job Leia! Hope you guys are all recovering. Love ya!